COMMUNICATIONS AND PROGRAM Officer : INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT WEEK (IDW)
(SHORT-TERM CONTRACT POSITION)
The Alberta Council for Global Cooperation (ACGC) is looking to fill the position of International
Development Week (IDW) Communications and Program Officer at our office in Edmonton.
POSITION TYPE: 12 week contract starting December 4, 2017, Full-Time
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, November 24 midnight MST, 2017
WAGE: $23.75/hour (37.5 hours/week)
Working closely with the Communications Coordinator and reporting to the Executive Director, the
Communications and Program Officer: International Development Week (IDW) will contribute to the
planning, executing, and reporting for ACGC’s IDW activities and initiatives. In addition, this position will
contribute to the implementation of ACGC’s communication strategy for the duration of the contract.
As a member of the ACGC team, this position will also contribute to the development, review and
attainment of the organization’s vision, mission, values and strategic goals.
Responsibilities include but
are not limited to the following:
● Work with the ACGC staff, board and members to plan and implement IDW activities and events
including the 7
th Annual Top 30 Under 30 publication and launch.
● Contribute to the development and creation of the Top 30 Under 30 publication through the
production of content, and editing of written submissions and other materials.
● Contribute to the development of a media campaign and communications strategy, including
the creation of media kits, media releases, and resource materials for the Top 30 Under 30.
● Contribute to the maintenance of ACGC's website.
● Contribute to the development and distribution of e-bulletins on a bi-weekly basis.
● Assist with the development and maintenance of a social media strategy (Twitter, Facebook,
YouTube) that will promote and publicize ACGC and member organization events and updates
● Create and implement tools to evaluate the effectiveness of IDW programming, including reach
and impact. Utilize evaluation results to prepare a final report to be submitted to the ACGC
Executive Director based on Results Based Management tools and framework.
● Carry out additional tasks directly related to the successful implementation of ACGC
programming as determined by the ACGC staff and board.
● Be responsible for working within the budget as assigned to the various areas of programming
under this job description.
● Maintain organized and comprehensive files.
● Have demonstrated success in a similar role either through direct work experience or through
interactions with the community on a regular basis via volunteering or other community
● Have expert communication skills (both written and verbal), and the ability to adapt
communications style in a manner that is suitable and appropriate for various stakeholders;
● Have a strong understanding of international development and cooperation combined with
exceptional understanding of global citizenship and public engagement principles;
● Have strong knowledge of project management especially related to international development
and social justice issues;
● Have excellent organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to organize multiple tasks and
appropriately prioritize activities;
● Have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to respect the values and differences that all
members of a small team bring to an office environment;
● Have a proven ability to problem-solve and work independently.
● Skills using Adobe Creative Cloud, InDesign and Photoshop are an asset.
● Knowledge of and experience with Wordpress is also an asset.
Working closely with the Communications Coordinator the position will report to the Executive Director
and it is envisioned that the position will be based at the ACGC office in Edmonton although alternative
arrangements can be suggested if required. Hours of work can be flexible to accommodate successful
applicants. The successful candidate must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends, and
may be required to travel.
ACGC is strongly committed to diversity within its community, and especially welcomes applications
from who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas in the workplace, including visible
minority group members, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and members of
under-represented gender and sexual orientation groups.
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter, résumé, writing sample, and the names of two
references to email@example.com by Friday, November 24 midnight MST, 2017.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be
Alberta Council for Global Cooperation (ACGC)
The Alberta Council for Global Cooperation (ACGC) is a coalition of voluntary sector organizations
located in Alberta, working locally and globally to achieve sustainable human development. We are
committed to international cooperation that is people-centered, democratic, just, inclusive, and
respectful of the environment and indigenous cultures. We work towards ending poverty and achieving
a peaceful and healthy world, with dignity and full participation for all.
For more information about ACGC please visit www.acgc.ca